Bike Polo X Climate Change

no its kot trolling i was asking these suestions seriously , since they are polo related.

the faith of humanity is a super deep and heavy suggest i rather not have while on a bike polo week end, thats what i meant. its definetly a conversation i will have with friends tho.

im replying to your first sentence about why you never get engaged in these topics around bike polo people

Well it is kind of trolling but the fact is, with all these questions, to me it shows I donā€™t have so much of an understanding on how much and therefore what is meaning full or not.
A good starting point, to bring this discussion further could be to make a calculation on a fictional 16 teams tournament for example.

3 Likes

Ill put it on my list. I know i know someone who can do it half professionally

2 Likes

I can do it professionally @flat_humour :slight_smile: Iā€™ll estimate the carbon footprint of our tournament in Gdańsk in June and post the results here.

6 Likes

That could be even better, with less fiction/hypothesis to decide, so easier work.
Yet, weā€™ll have to be careful with comparisons :slight_smile:

Thanks for the topic Remy.

All of this is very complexe to me and I donā€™t know where to start, id say that for years now i like the posture of French astrophysicists and philosophers AurĆ©lien Barreau who said the basically that the best we can do now will be to do ā€œnothingā€.
Just do less, eat less, consume less, travel less, etc.

Personally I wonā€™t miss travelling, I mean I havenā€™t visit half of my own country so why bother exploring the world ?

Not sure clean energy will help, even with clean and infinite energy we would fuck the world badly, main cause of mass exctinction isnā€™t global warming but rather habitat destructionā€¦

Anyway, I feel depressed a lot about all of this but I think itā€™s important to talk about it, like also famous French writer Pablo Servigne said thereā€™s no way back, now we must prepare to work and help each other, social link create rĆ©silience, maybe tournaments and polo events are a good way to make and strengthen social links. ( haha the guy is making excuse to go to the next worlds lol)

Also Iā€™m happy thereā€™s echo about this subject on the poloverse and no climatoseptic so far :slight_smile:

About MILK and bike polo gear, I was semi joking 1-2 year ago with benji about making low tech mallet with wood and bamboo but Iā€™m not sure itā€™s the priority yet, Iā€™m still working a bit on it but it could introduce Ā« major Ā» variation between batches.
Any idea about making mallet Ā« more green Ā» iā€™m open. Iā€™m not so open about using money to plant tree (we donā€™t have money).

Have a good day

2 Likes

I donā€™t like persuading people to do this or that using that ubiquitous, indisputable vision of the apocalypse. I think that in general it makes people more and more reluctant. Actually, that constant pressure, i.e. manifesting in calling everyone who has any doubts boomer or flat earthers, made me more suspicious than trustworthy (But at the same time, Iā€™ve learnt a lot about fields of science that I would never have thought about looking at). I wrote it because people are always selfish to some degree, so they do things that benefit them, and at the same time, they are a bit rebellious as well. I think it applies even to educated/privileged/enlightened ones. It means that it is always easier to popularise habits that seem to be beneficial :slight_smile: I have never seen a person who gave up riding a car to work because of the climate crisis (I didnā€™t either). Iā€™ve seen a lot doing it because they save time, itā€™s healthier and is cheaper. People like to use trains because they are free to do things other than just holding a steering wheel, even though the train is sometimes more expensive than driving a car. My company minimises computational resource usage not because we want to save the planet but because weā€™re saving money. It is just a general idea, but it helps me personally.

The one idea that really speaks to me is limiting consumerism. Sometimes, it is presented from the wrong side; people think the world wants to take something from them. Not letting them wear or have nice things, I see it differently, and itā€™s how I influenced some of my friends to be more conscious. My idea is to have things that last. Reusing things is trendy in Poland (maybe just in my bubble). People tend to buy quality stuff for kids, which many kids use in a row. The same is true with clothes, etc. There are groups (on facebook i.e.) built around this trade/exchange locally. And thatā€™s a way to have nice quality stuff cheaper without the need to stick with it for years. Itā€™s even better if you compare quality of things being produced 10 years ago to present one.

Soā€¦ with that too extensive introductionā€¦ how it applies to polo:

1. Letā€™s keep tournament welcome packs / winnerā€™s prizes modest but quality. When asked for sponsorships, some bike shops and companies just give stuff that wonā€™t be sold anyway; itā€™s like we are a trash bag. During my not-really-successful career, Iā€™ve won 3 or 4 chargable light sets whose batteries were so old that they didnā€™t work at all. In my opinion, itā€™s better to give something practical for the tournament. I still have a tremendous and durable plastic cup from Montpellier Worlds that I used to buy drinks during the tournament. I would avoid giving T-shirts. We can make the registration fee smaller and let people order t-shirts optionally. If we give cycling water bottles we can ask during registration as well - some of us has a lot of that.

2. Try not to collect a bit worn out ā€œsomeday I will use itā€ bike polo stuff. Itā€™s great to give these things to rookies for a soft drink:

• gloves that you planned to patch 2 years ago, but youā€™ve got 2 new pairs
  • spd-shoes that you told yourself to use in winter but you never did,
  • bike parts that canā€™t be sold but you probably wonā€™t ever use them as you just replaced them (bars, saddles)
  • slightly used heads you donā€™t like anymore
  1. When we serve food and drinks at tournaments, we can set prices so that ā€œstuff in a cupā€ is more affordable than stuff served in disposable containers. My cafe used to add an extra 50cents for a disposable cup, now maybe one of ten customers comes without a cup.

2. Share smart ways to travel to some tournaments. Being in a community and seeing each other in person is very important. Who wants to pack his bike like a fortress, spend so much time travelling to the airport and then staying at the airport, then be pushed from one queue to another just to travel from the airport to the city centre. If there is a way to jump on the train and make it at an acceptable time, why not do it. Sometimes, people just donā€™t know that there is another way.

4 Likes

haha make them last at least :kissing_heart:

1 Like

just a quick one: you are so right about travel tips! I have found all the loopholes for train travel by being kicked out several time - yes it was always in germany and yes Iā€™ve had the cops drag me out one morning when I was particularly hung over and just could not be fucked :sweat_smile:
So I will defffo write something up. cheers for the idea!

Sorry that was rude. Anyway how would i know if they last, i dont use your products :kissing_heart: :kissing_heart: :joy:

1 Like

Haha we plan no planned obsolescence so far but yes, making long lasting product is one our first aim. :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

omg i cant see a polo shirt anymore , maybe do socks instead its way more useful ! and less sizes issues !

1 Like