The 2023 EHBA Ruleset megathread

Lovely! Thanks for the trick!

Hey Benji,

Just wondering what part you are finding hard to read in the comparison? Which line?

Iā€™m sure its not perfect as I spent 5 min doing a few clicks to compare and people will still need to read it carefully just like the ruleset in general. However Iā€™m still struggling to find anything missed.

@Mega_shuffle Do you think there is a place for a more condensed Player Info Handbook style ruleset based off of the larger ruleset that cuts out a bunch of the tournament/organiser specific info.

Here is one I created based on the 2018 version for when I was teaching the rules, would be happy to update to include the new changes and get some feedback:
Ref sheet.pdf (86.7 KB)

4 Likes

i have no issues reading the lines, i have issues with the form of that proposal, i would like both the old rule and new rule back to back, like i presented it above.

in the future all changes to the ruleset should be submitted that way for more transparency/ understanding.

you can hover over the changes and see what it used to say

alternatively you can buy a licence for Adobe Acobat pro and that will show you both pages at the same time side by side :slight_smile:

the over funtion didnt work for me sorry , it would be a nice way to do this.

@django we talked face to face about a re work of the rules coming but you or alejandro never said when it was happening , i have reached more than one time on many platform about my interest for this. and what about all the other people who would like to get involved ? is it too late now ?

i dont think anything that i say in this post is out of line just questioning u guys , seems a bit like u took it personally with the " snarky entitled response"

hover function activated.

for clarity and efficient reading of the very large, international , multi language speaking crowd of bike polo player , i still think this is a bit troublesome and one might skip the real meaning of the rule change.

exemple following :

i rather explain in human sentences what is the actual change, with maybe a little sentence backing up the why it was re-written / deleted / plain rule change.

i ll do it anyway i guess, creating a post for each paragraph changed that actually matter , so we can have many different discussion happening at once , this megathread will be overloaded quickly

1 Like

we have now 4 rulesets in use in the world : old nah / new nah old euro / new euro

time for a big merging ?

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had a ā€œspirit of the ruleā€ guide in the backburner for some time now. Hopefully Iā€™ll get around to write it.

3 Likes

Not upset, thatā€™s not my style :sunglasses:. Was trying to be constructive. I totally get where you are coming from. youā€™re the person actually doing this, instead of everyone else who is just posting their shit on message boards. And of course all discussions get derailed. Even this thread has turned into some BS meta discussion about rules. Thatā€™s just part of the internet. I think there would be value in doing a little bit explicit process stuff around rules changes, but I am pretty into process stuff generally so :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

would love a more human explanation on how you re worked the penalty escalation and minor / major penalties. cheers

everything else is cleared thanks to pyetro / peers comparaison tool link. the issue with this tool is that it highlight small changes like ā€œtap-inā€ becoming "tap - in " the same way it high light a complete rework of a rule with completely different parameters , like the equipment - mallet stuff or the removal of the crease exception in the mallet interference rule.

but thanks i really liked that little easter egg hunt where each hover over highlight might or might not unveil a new rule :upside_down_face: so clear so easy

sorry for not being a yes man

2 Likes

6.4.6.2.1.2 Contact must be released the moment the ball leaved the immediate vicinity or it becomes unplayable by the hooking player

the ā€œvictimā€ of the hook can become an active hooker at any time during a hooking exchange. but no one is talking about that although plenty of people have made that feedback .

rule should only focus on where the ball is (direct vicinity) when hooking is initiated, whether the ball leave the direct vicitnity of the hooker or not shouldnt be automatically a foul on the person who initiated the hookingā€¦

elle yaĆÆs:

343072361_1267140133881296_8684927701116603209_n

1 Like

Let me know if you want a hand or someone to look over :wink:

Hi,
Iā€™m happy the ruleset still moves on and I agree that the game itself and the ruleset must adapt to each other. Iā€™m also happy about how it looks and how itā€™s built compared to what we had in the past (no stray bullet to NAH ruleset).
Only one thing at this step Iā€™d like to say : I donā€™t understand why we allow the shaft to go 3mm through the head ! It can only be more dangerous than 0mm.
It takes 3min to remove these ā€œextraā€ mm and it should be the players responsibilities to do it rather than the ruleset to adapt to this ā€¦ To me, this kind of changes to be in line with the equipment the players use is a STEP BACK. 80% of the Voltige shaft are like this, itā€™s OK. But the players must be less lazy and remove this part of the shaft by themselves (and itā€™s often more than 3mm, so will we just stop the game to measure it, as it has been done with Dodiā€™s bars in EHBPC Zurich ?).
A more extreme example to illustrate my opinion : will we legalize open bar ends if tomorrow the players donā€™t take the time to add plugs into their bar ends ?

Btw, Iā€™ll translate the ruleset in French. If you want it let me know.

6 Likes

i can help for translations and the spirit of the rule handbook as well

can i suggest / help with communication as well ? i could do some instagram posts to promote this poloverse thread , imo NAH communication of the new rule was very good ( despite the backlash they got) with lots of instagram shared very quickly accross their whole community.

also because of the whbpc being hosted in europe its ehbpa duty to comunicate precisely which ruleset people will be playing under in august (only 4 months left ! šŸ„¹ ) and would love the spanish speaking community to be familiar with it and at their best ! poloverse is the perfect place to chat in different languages and make sure each rule paragraph is assimilated .

@Mega_shuffle @django let me know if i can help with insta etc

1 Like

Just to clarify, the Voltige system is design to set the shaft tip flush with the outside wall surface of the head, not to protrude out any further. It may happen to slip if loose or if the head get deformed significantly but as you mentioned it is the playersā€™ responsibility to look after their equipment and correct this.

11 Likes

The 3mm is not a dangerous distance and is use as a security measurement for carbon shafts because the flex of the heads. Is recommended but not necessary to leave at least 2mm of the shaft pocking out(if you do so the Shafts round up and become even more safe) .
This system have been proven for more then 10 years without any inconveniences and if the distance is longer the shaft would be inconvenient for play and easy to spot by the ref and If is just 5mm would round up to a shorter distance.

We should just make sure that people check there own equipment before play.

1 Like

What harm do you expect from a 3mm extrusion? How is it more dangerous than the scooping edge of the mallet head? I am all for safety by any means. I do not see the big risk here (obviously with the condition, that we are not talking about a razor sharp pointed spike sticking out, but just a flat/round/blunt extrusion). So please tell me what scenario you think is dangerous here!

1 Like

Itā€™s very easy : non of these mallets are supposed to be like this (as Frax explained very well).
I agree itā€™s not more dangerous than a scooping edge.
But these 3mm are there because of players lazyness and were forbidden before. So we add something dangerous.
How ?
Not later than yesterday Bernie came to visit us in Lyon. Accidentally we crashed into each other. As he had two hands on the handlebar, the bottom of his head went straight into my nose. If the 3mm were there I would have a 3mm deep hole in my face.
Donā€™t telle we to wear a face cage iā€™m well aware of the risks. Itā€™s not my responsibility to add protection against others shitty stuff.
I donā€™t even understand how these 3mm can be an option.

4 Likes