AUTCZE Championship (Austrian / Czech Republic Championship)

We had a few czech free agents at last years austrian championships and it was was proposed to have a combined championship this year.
Linz is still waiting to confirm dates, likely September/October.

While we are waiting for the dates, let´s discuss how we should handle voting. Because the austrian polo community is quite a bit larger, I propose these rules regarding voting to make it more fair:
– voting based on countries and not individual votes of each player in AUT/CZE.
– in case of a tie-breaker, the vote of the players from the hosting club Linz decides
– only players living in AUT/CZE are eligible to vote

Other option is to just count individual votes.
Any other options?

I think 7 days until end of May is plenty to discuss this and afterwards we can move on to other points.

@Alca
please inform the czech players.

4 Likes

Free Agent :slight_smile:

1 Like

how would the country based voting system look in Detail?

Single vote on Poloverse but the individual votes of players in each country are grouped together to figure out the “country vote”. If it´s a tie, we look at the vote of the players from Linz.

Open to any other suggestions.

2 Likes

sounds fine, I think

thanks for taking up the initiative.
your suggested way of voting seems reasonable for me. so now we wait a week to decide on a way of voting or are we voting already?

I was thinking:
One week to discuss how we should make decisions (vote) for a combined championship.
If by the end of the week we have agreed on something (or there are no objections against the proposal above), we start actual voting on open questions:

• do we actually want combined championships
  • mixed mandatory
  • date (in case Linz offers multiple weekends)
1 Like

@metriod :+1:

what about Hungary and Slovenia? does anyone know their status of interest?

Valid question.
We usually have around 10-12 teams at the ÖHBPM. Having a joined AUT CZE Championship, I think this number will go up to 14-16 teams. More than 18 teams for a one court tournament is not really feasible. This makes it difficult to extend the championship to further countries.

The discussion to have joined championship came up multiple times in the past as well as at last years ÖHBPM because we had so many czech players participating.

Anyway, the single court seems to be the limiting factor.

1 Like

i would be against a combined championship if it would mean that not everyone could participate if they wanted, with a limited number of teams on one court.
other than that i have no problem with it.

3 Likes

I can´t follow, could you expand please.

referring to what you wrote before. one court limits to a certain amount of teams, if expanding the champs by including other clubs than vienna, linz and graz means there will also be more players than 48 (for maximum 16 teams), then i would prefer to not expand it. if we can say for sure that everyone who is part of the included clubs could also have the chance to play, then i would not have a problem with it. i dont know how many people are playing in czech for example, also not hungary and slovenia, it would maybe be good to know before.
i hope it is better to understand now :sweat_smile:

Shaki has a point.

1 Like

OK, what is still unclear to me is whether you are saying either have a combined championship with Czech Republic, Slovenia and Hungary AND only if everyone interested can participate or have no combined championship at all?

Or would you also be OK with having a combined championship with only Czech Republic as long as we stay below 16/18 teams.

I think including Slovenia and Hungary as well might be difficult because we are limited to one court, but a combined Austria / Czech Republic championship should be possible considering ÖHBPM numbers from past years and assuming no more than 4 teams (12 players) from czech republic.

@PePi @Ertz maybe you can provide more insight. How many players could be interested?

i would be ok with a combined championship with cz if we for sure know that we will not be more than 16 teams without excluding anyone.
i guess there are more new players, so i dont know if we can guarantee that. to figure that out i dont know if it is good to ask who is interested, because i think that could be excluding, especially for newbies.
so i would like to know for a decision actually how many players are in each club.

1 Like

Slovenia has only 4 active players, so No.
:grin:

2 Likes

I’m with shaki. If it’s guaranteed that every austrian team can participate, a combined championship would be fine for me. But why is cz prioritized? In my opinion, we should either do a combined championship with slo, hu and cz or a 2/3 austrian rule. Everything else would be uncool. But I get your point that there might be too many teams.
So what’s the point against the 2/3 rule? It worked fine the last years and everybody could get a team with 2 austrians no matter what nation they are from.

maybe it’s a long shot then, but how about trying to estimate how many teams from AT we would have this year? maybe we could estimate numbers within our city clubs (vienna, graz, linz). i realise it’s a tough task, but rough estimation is doable, i believe.

it’s a valid point that there is quite a bunch of new players, so maybe we can reach 16 teams/48 players without combining championships.

I think probably around 3-4 teams from Graz. More likely 4 so far. But depends on the date

Hypothetical question:
If austrian polo community continues growing and in the future we happen to exceed 16/18 teams interested for the ÖHBPM, how woud we handle it?
Assuming we do not have access to a venue with 2 courts.

We could try play some games on friday afternoon/evening already if teams are present.
We could reduce the number of rounds.
We could not play the elimination phase with all teams.
I think these are also valid option for a combined championship.

Anyway, let´s extend the discussion until end of May and then start voting on open points as per the current voting proposal mentioned in the first post of this thread.
Maybe we´ll have heard back from Ertz until then as well.