Carbon Fibre Mallet Shaft Strength / Durability

Wondering what people’s experience has been with carbon fibre shafts and whether they hold up to abuse? I break a lot of shafts (there is a lot of sword fighting in our games) and I am wondering if the carbon fibre can handle it?

they break yeah, but resist impacts too.

also voltige , praap and perro carbon are all 3 completely different

hard to explain you would have to try them

i snapped a voltige first game , just tripoding hard on it until the point the flex point snapped , but some people play with the same shaft for 2 years

i like the feeling of carbon ! just like my handlebars it feels like it absorb vibration better and also reduce hand fatigue by being more rigid ! but i mainly play light aluminium shaft and for pick up i mostly use a beat up tough aluminium 1mm shaft

1 Like

When i started playing with voltige i broke 3-4 mallets within a year. Now i break one per year avarage. Went to 6 or 7 tournaments and a lot of pickups (once a week) this year, so the quality of voltige is very good imo

Due to the new rules hard slashing isnt a topic anymore, which also keeps the shaft alive longer.

3 Likes

They do break, but metal shafts break too. I was at Thaw X this past weekend and saw 2 shafts break, both aluminum!

I really like the feel of the graphite golf shaft, and have found them pretty durable. I don’t think I would break it by accidentally hitting my frame or wheel or the court. The only way I’ve seen them break so far is from a slash / mallet contact.

I played like half a dozen matches with one of my carbons and then it broke when I took a big rip it hit my fork (I missed too lol). I’ve only been playing with carbon for a few weeks though.

i break 2 light shaft per years , 1 tough shaft every 3-4 years

perro carbon lasted 2 weeks
voltige snaped on my first game cuz i tripod the weonf way on it
praap has lasted a few gaes so far and i reselled it.

Been using voltige shafts for some years. Broke 2 at the very beginning.
I break 1/year now on average.
I always break them by hitting my bike or a hard hit with a mallet.
Hard hit means a very hard hit, I’ve learn to keep a flex wrist, so most of the time the shock energy is spread.