Disc brakes - Resin vs Sintered pads, calipers compatibilty...

so far this is what ive learned, please let me know more about , and within the practice of bike polo : ICE technology, center lock rotors, other pads components ( ceramic )

SHIMANO

i prefer sintered, i suggest trying them before even bothering going 4 pistons. i had very good result with this shimano + shimano metal pad G04S , here is a chart that i always keep handy.

coach tips i also saved that brake on ebay and bought it for anyone in the club who needed one , it makes things easier and potentially leads to bulk order disc pads and rotors. i went and experimented with some 2 ÂŁ semi sintered pads from ebay and had good results.picture of these ebay pads below.

nothing beats shimano metal pads composition, its probably a better blend.

resin tends to wear quick especially in dirt and wet
WARNING some calipers are only resin compatible. its not going to stop you from putting metal pads on it but the calipers parts are not designed to take the same amount of HEAT BUILD UP and will lead to faillure , maybe the pistons deteriorate and leak. double check the reference number of the caliper and find out if its resin only !

also some rotors are only resin compatible , check carefully ( zoom in the rotors below to see the “resin only” sign.

here my current disc brake set up, the one i played with at berlin mix for reference.

HOPE

currently testing a nice tech 4 lever / E4 caliper (4pistons)

its very good. compared to a Zee 4 pistons ( braking feels like hitting a wall) , the hope carry you nicely into a stoping stance.
GREEN RESIN PADS in dry weather felt incredible and after a few games i saved them and installed the sintered ones .

RED SINTERED ALL WEATHER results are very close and equally satisfying .

tips by morgan Galfer is the company who manufactures hope pads and are cheaper.

i also played with a tektro right hand lever put in revers on the left side and it was really bad, but i was playing with dodi and david varga and still won 🥲

3 Likes

Good article! :heart:

Side note on rotors:

Check your rotor wear, on the rotor itself you should see a minimum thickness written after which you should replace it.
Some rotors are not designed for metal pads, usually the cheaper ones.
If you see a color change on your rotor, you should replace them too.

:warning: Fingers should be kept away from pads and rotors!

Brake pads:
You don’t need “cooling fins” for bike polo
I ordered some of Ali express I am very happy with what I got! I would not recommend due to the varying quality you may get! But in a pinch that can help!

See ya! :v:t4:

2 Likes

if you happen to drop oil on your rotor /discduring a bleeding , you can save the rotor easily by using degreaser / dish washer soap and a clean cloth to get rid of the oil ( its actually a good idea to do it once in a while if you want better braking performance )

if you stain your pads, its a bit more complicated … just keep a few alibaba spares :grimacing: you can maybe save them by using sand paper and scratching the contaminated surface off but that could also not work.

about experimenting with rotors and pads from ebay/ali express:

how bad can it go ? if i buy a random rotor what specs makes a difference ?

so far i noticed :
-resin pad only like jason mentioned, usually its a shimano one that has a shimmy surface / coating.

• thickness of the rotor ? is there really a risk of buying a rotor that is too thin or thick ?

• ice technology ? floating rotors ? i never tried these yet

had to adapt my max power tough guard to fit my hope E4 caliper.

also couldnt fit the roger adaptor to my lightfoot V2 fork ( fork tube is thicker than thz stolen , the dropouts are not clearing as well ) so i used a regular shimano one (thinner)