How the hell are you staying on that bike?

You think you know why you stay on your bike and don’t fall off? Gyroscopic effect? Hells no!

2 Likes

Cool! There is also this video where they play around with several factors to make “unridable” bikes handle ok:

2 Likes

I saw this video recently and found it somehow very inspiring:

a bit off-topic, but it’s about riding bikes as well, haha

2 Likes

When I saw this video it immediately reminded me of when I teach some how to pivot on the front wheel. I tell the to make a micro turn in the direction you want your tail to go followed by a hard turn the other way while braking.

2 Likes

when I was trained to teach kids how to snowboard, a crucial concept was that every move has 3 parts to it. preparation, execution and stabilisation (roughly remembered and translated).
While execution is the obvious one and the one people will try to emulate, the most important part to focus on usually is the preparation. In the pivot example it would be exactly this counter steering and the preparation of moving your center of gravity where it needs to go.
Similarly rowwing backwards trough the use of the front break is 90% preparing by moving your center of gravity forward, while a pivot on the back wheel is preparing by putting your weight to the front.
This separation into three stages really helps teaching, both to notice as an observer where people fuck up, and also to get a framework on how to teach them, I find.

3 Likes