Newbies only tournament

Bordeaux bike polo is going to host a Newbies only tournament for October 2022.

Here’s what I’ve brain stormed for this tournament.

1°bench
2°mixed teams obligatory
3°Each team most have a coach… This coach does not play in the tournament.
4°Every player must have a maximum of 1 year of experience to be eligible.
example If the tournament date is Oct 14th-16th 2022, only players who started playing after Oct 14th of 2021 would be eligible to play.

Basically, the plan is to create an incentive to immediately go and find a handful of new players for your club, train them for a few months, then send them in to battle… like pokemon…

I’ve been daydreaming about this things for years now. Can’t wait to put it into effect. What are your thoughts? How do we make this a success? If it works well, the tournament could become an annual event, hosted by différent clubs!

7 Likes

Haha love it! Looking at Berlin, we currently would have I think 1 player that fits the experience criteria, maybe 0… So to make this tournament a reality I guess a lot of effort has to be put by clubs into getting new players - which is also something we’ve been talking about in Berlin. How many teams would you like to invite/register?

london coming strong with a solid crowd. how many players in one bench team ?

wait that is next year

all my newbies will have evolved by then

2 Likes

yeah, exactly… should it maybe be 1,5 yrs, or 2 years for half the team and 1 year for the other half?

there was this tournament where a whole team had to be at least 120 years old - something like that

maybe here you could do the same, total playtine of the team added up must not be larger than 5 years (as an arbitrary example for a team of 3, if you go bench, the number should be larger I guess)

I like the idea but I’m also not sure how willing players who played less than a year are to travel great distanced for polo - I mean they should, but maybe it’s a tough sell?

2 Likes

how about defining the newbiness by the amount of tournament played ?

as well as the year of start of course, i like the original idea very much but i thought it was for this year ! love the coach idea bernie im coming

1 Like

Here’s the link to the tournament event, posted on Bordeaux Bike polo’s facebook page.

NEWBALAYA Bench tournament

There currently is no cap on the number of teams that can sign up. Team registration will be possible even if your roster isn’t complete.

2 Likes

That’s amazing! Thank you!

Here in Berlin we are currently trying to host monthly a rookie night, in the first wednesday of the month. In our first one we had 5 new faces. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That excellent, here in Bordeaux we have alot of success finding new players

4 to 6 players.

BBP has decided to stick to a polo birth-date. The main goal of the tournament is to create an incentive for clubs to find brand new players starting NOW! In the best case scenario we will induce the genesis of new clubs.

16 teams, but I this can change in the future. The more the merrier.

2 Likes