Raclette blocks with a carbon shaft

For folks who were able to raclette with an aluminum shaft, do you feel a difference when you raclette with a carbon shaft? Do you still raclette after switching to carbon? Did you have to change how you raclette after the switch?

I recently switched and noticed that the ball tends to bounce more off a carbon shaft and doesn’t “absorb the impact” as it would when I used an aluminum.

Would love to hear your opinion on racletting with a carbon shaft!

1 Like

I don’t see a real difference to be honest, the ball usually stays just next to the shaft.
The only case which shocked me is that one guy literally broke my mallet with a big shot :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There are different carbon shafts. I suppose you talk about the flexing and light version and not the stiff one. I only have experience with the latter and there isn’t any difference, as the stiff carbon is stiffer than the alu shafts. So carbon isn’t carbon, it depends. Also note that the effectivity of your raclette depends on how high the shafts is placed with respect to the ball. Too low and ball jumps over, too high and ball slips under. This is amplified if your shaft is extremely flexible. Your effectivity range in terms of height will shrink.

4 Likes

[Product placement] Just use voltige shafts, they will never let you down :wink:

4 Likes

This. I am using a graphite carbon shaft with flex to it. Playing pickup last night definitely made me realize that I have to position the shaft at the right height. As a shorter person doing raclettes, I have to “punch” the ground with force which makes the shaft flex down towards the ground more, making the ball jump over.

That’s some power! :open_mouth:

I was happy not to catch in on the space above the glove.
Unfortunately, the ball hit the mallet close to the handle; at the same time, the rest of the shaft was touching my front wheel, and that’s the effect.
It happened once in 8 years of playing carbon shafts.

1 Like