Soft vs. Rigid rotor guards

I really LOVE my DIY rotor guard made from an old tupperware lid. Mine is made of that really oldschool mega-toxic super-tough first-gen tupperware plastic that smells like a baby-doll from the 90’s and never goes stale. You know what I mean?

IN MY OPINION…

PROS.

1. It costs almost nothing.
  2. It doesn’t get tangled with other bikes because it’s bendy. Less footdowns, less ware on your brake-mount. (e.g. I have shattered rigid plastic guards because a player reverse t-boned my front wheel and hooked my guard.)
  3. It does a reasonably good job of protecting other players from your rotor. (I’m interested in debating this…)
  4. Ultra-Light

CONS

1. It ain’t pretty
  2. It doesn’t protect your rotor as well as a rigid guard.
  3. It takes some savey to find the right plastic.(try the thrift stores)
  4. Installation requires some original thinking.
  5. Did I mention it’s real ugly?
4 Likes

Photo ?

4 Likes

roger carbon guard for me are better than max power “bendy” aluminium.

does your tupper ware guard protect people who fall on the guard from cutting themselves? isn’t that the main reason why guards are mandatory?

I also really wanna see a picture of this! sounds amazing :slight_smile:

1 Like

If the saying is correct, the best defense is an offense. Thusly, the more rigid - the better, IMO. I have achieved rather good results by using the wheel axle as a mounting point. Building sideways also adds rigidity.

Example

1 Like

nice and light but prone to get caught ?

imo a nice flat piece of carbon is the best, if you can find some broken parts of formula 1 around the tracks when they crash :eyes:

1 Like

No F1 here as of yet, but plenty of shot-down planes and drones =D
The guard does not get caught on stuff. Not that I can recall. It may, in theory, catch someone’s axle, but we know who will get a hacksaw treatment afterward.

could catch someone foot ? i didnt know drone where made of carbon , i see people crash the all the time ( obviously not the same drones we talking about , hope you well :muscle::handshake:)

1 Like

@Bernard if your guard gets bent against your hot disc while spinning , isnt it gonna melt a lil bit on it and makes your brake shitty ?

Thank you =) Our peeps are doing well :crossed_fingers:. Some have joined the army, some were forced to go abroad. In fact, more polo clubs have started due to internal migration (in your face, pootin).

Here is a rim-brake booster made from a piece of tank. Once we win, I will have to incorporate some mine shards into my frames =)

SFW

The rotor guard has up to 30mm in thickness, so it should not catch one’s foot, unless they wear sandals =P

if im correct the rotor guard you posted above is made of metal sticks bend and welded

its more possible to catch something in this VS a completely full and flat surface ( roger carbon guard, or aluminium frying pan style )

for exemple i find fazan rotor guards a bit too agressive in designs ( holes + spikes) id rather see more sensible design with round edges and flat surface.

this DIY stuff from tanks is the coolest thing i ve ever saw keep going

The guard consists of 2 circles (1 weld each), a central cross (4 welds), a mounting plate (3 welds), and N-braces (Nx2 welds). There are no pieces sticking out as every 2 parts are welded in a T-joint, or end-to-end. The welds are grounded down where possible.

Now, I do understand that the more complex the guard is, the more failure points it has. However, since every guard is a one-of, I am able to overbuild the joints where needed.

Undoubtedly, laser-cut builds are easier to manufacture and provide unique designs. However, extra small batches are not financially feasible, unfortunately. As for the composite guards, let’s just say that our clubs are still in the middle ages. I am sure that modern materials can be better at stuff.

P.S.: In my 4+ seasons of polo, I cannot recall a single occasion of Fazan guards causing the problems you have described (we have around 5 players with different models). There was an earlier model, that had protruding 90-degree angles near the caliper, but that is it, really.

i meant to say that in your design you fan still touch your rotor trough your guard, i prefer when its fully covered

I’ll post a photo of it when I get home in march.

Although the plastic deforms very easily, it never (bends then hold-up this new bent shape). Polyéthylène plastic will melt quickly but it (in my experience) doesn’t leave behind an oily residue. I doubt this mode of failure to be likley, but I might be totally wrong.

My first encounters with disc brakes in bikepolo were quickly followed up by my first encounter of disc guards. These players installed guards to protect their disc from serious damage. Today we make guards mandatory for the protection players. At any given tournament he or she that is responsible for bike safety checks decides if a particular disc guard provides sufficient protection.

My tupperware disc guard does not protect the rotor very well at all. I do feel that it protects players sufficiently but I can’t be trusted in this! I’m obviously biased. The plastic guard bends into, and over the top of the disc when I simulate contact with my hand. It’s not perfect though. All guards, rigid or soft, have modes of failure. None of them offer protection from all the types of impact.
I am certain that my soft guard reduces the chances of crashing due to bikes becoming fouled or entangled. That has it’s safety mérite too!!

seems like you just got lucky so far and never encountered a direct hit that would bend your rotor. at least i know what to gift you for your bday !

1 Like

6528fc21-b1aa-458d-86b8-ab218cee4df5photo
181b5c20-39d8-4f50-9b74-958495d698e4photo

1 Like

Oh uhm… How rigid is that thing?
I don’t think I would give that an OKAY in a bike check (in a tournament).

yeah, show us how it bends!

1 Like