Tires

What are the best tires. So that I’m not slipping out when it’s wet?

1 Like

continental grand prix

2 Likes

Continental Contact speed
https://www.continental-tires.com/bicycle/tires/urban-tour/contact-speed

1 Like

What factors make a tire slippy vs fast? It’s a material thing right?

1 Like
  1. Rubber mix
  2. tire tread pattern
  3. Tire pressure
  4. Tire width

In track cycling tire producers mainly focus on the perfect rubber mix, since the other factors have mostly been optimised from a general perspective (no tread pattern, high tire pressure, narrow tire width).

fun fact: Before we track cyclist get on the track (hardened smooth wood), we rub our tires down clean with watered down white vinegar, as the rolling resistence of our tires is so low that the smallest amount of dirt might send us flying on the track.

1 Like

How about effect of tire width on performance? Which size do you think is best?
Researchers say that wider tires are better on cornering due to larger contact point.
It’s also mentioned that wider tires have less rolling resistance contrary to general consensus becuase they deflect less than narrower tires, so they are as fast as the narrow tires.
I used 32’s for many years, was really happy but my last pair is schwalbe one 30’s. Didn’t see a noticable difference, I really like them. Now I’m planning to try 28’s because I have a little toe overlap with my new fork, but I’m scared I will sacrifice from the cornering grip. Any comments from ppl who experienced both?

700/26 or 27,5 i always felt 28 width is the sweet spot for a polo tyre, on tarmac or grippy surface

only time i would go wider is maybe , inside courts or a very slipery surface like concrete.

ive tried really narrow continental GP 26 x 1.1 (28 equivalent) from morgan :heart_eyes:advice and loved it.

• light weight
    -black chili compound rubber is high end rubber material from continental (same on GP 5000) no issues cornering and i do turn AND accelerate (lightfoot V1 bb is high enough so i dont pedal strike while doing so)

-50% thicker sidewalls is why i choose it over 4 seasons, gatorskins or other top range tyres

https://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/road-and-track/clinchers/grand-prix-gt?highlight=WyJncmFuZCIsIidncmFuZCIsInByaXgiLCJwcml4JyIsImdyYW5kIHByaXgiXQ==

i also have some contact SPEED in 26 x1.30 and 27,5 x 1.25
-the slim ones are 32 minimum ( would prefer 28)
-textured surface rub off very quickly then is the same as any slick tyre so its really about the quality of the rubber ( note: the black chili label does not appear). they still ok on a grippy court and are puncture resistant.

• i ll keep a fresh pair for inside tournaments and try to keep them clean and maybe carry a bottle of vinegar !

https://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/commuting-touring/contact-speed

gatorskin, 4 season ,ultra sport III, GP 5000are ok but all have thinner side walls, might have less quality rubber and usually cost a lot
i would buy any of these tyres if they are on sale…

its all about what is available for cheap and what court surface you are playing on !
1.5 /38 are too big ! light tyres are a real plus ,get the foldable ones !

marathon shwalbes : too heavy, good if you comute a lot on your polo bike or work as deliveroo

kojak shwalbe are good for grippy courts and not really light i guess.

Maxxis Detonator : not too heavy , solid tyre with a very good grip even in wet/ slipery surface

i would play with a a beefy long lasting rear tyre for pick ups and put a nice set for a tournament to save cost.

also if the court is not super grippy and it get wet + dirty ( like your tyre are full of wet dirt soil mixed with wet dried leaves) then i dont think any tyre can beat that…

I see already a lot of vinegar smell in this year’s Büppelmania…