Tournament/club ratio 2022

Which clubs host the most yearly tournaments?
As a sport, we should be aiming for at least a 1/1 ratio (IMO)
How close are we?

1 Like

Berlin is somewhere between 1 and 2 during corona times, excluding the two times we tried to make a winter league but never saw the end of it. If everything goes right, maybe 2022 is the year we offer 3?

I’ve heard there used to be 5 in years pre-covid.

1 Like

Nice topic, I think there should be more discussions regarding club organization (btw that’s where I moved the topic)
Tournaments are nice to have but I think if you don’t have a group of people sharing responsibilities and having fun working together it’s never going to be sustainable.
For me tournaments are the fruit of good club organization and the first goal should be recruiting newbs anyway :slight_smile:

2 Likes

5! Wow!

I agree that recruiting new players should be a primary goal for every club. We play a fringe sport with declining participation, so that seems like an easy priority to set.

In my experience, tournaments (especially smaller 1 or 2 court tournaments) can really boost player recruitment and retention efforts.

1 Like

Certainly, Berlin has the largest annual regular tournament in the world. Every year (except Covid) they have a 3 court tournament where all 40+ slots are taken and the waiting list is long, the one and only Berlin Mixed. Also it is the biggest mandatory mixed event in the world.

I think in Europe the stable/active/bigger clubs do roughly 1-3 tournaments a year. Some are just local/fun events, some are serious international events. Clubs that don’t are typically small, with few players and often lacking infrastructure.

In Australia we almost had one per club per year. I reckon you need to align the type and size of the tournament to the club. So my club, canberra, ran a one cour, two day, A-B-C style tournament in pre-Covid times to be a newbie-friendly tournament to help with recruitment and retention of players in canberra and elsewhere.

But then we also tried little one day tournaments with the Sydney and Newcastle clubs where we would play a one day, one court tournament in each city a few weeks apart. We’ve also done shuffle tournaments and random times just coz. Running a tournament doesn’t have to be a big deal

1 Like

Hamburg hosts a tournament in summer (usually in the first half of July) and the Quing of the Norrrth (24h tournament usually first half of October)
That’s two tournaments for Hamburg if everything’s going smoothly without global shit going on.

2 Likes