What gear ratios are people using?

I recently bought a used polo bike, and up till now, I have kept most parts the same.
The gear ratio on it now is 2.19 (54 gear inches) with a 35 tooth chain ring, and a 16 tooth free wheel. I know that I will change it soon, but Im curious what everybody else is using.
Thanks

Abt. 1.7 on flats…

If you have Instagram follow world of bikepolo :slight_smile:
Everyone’s ratio is written on the stickers

3 Likes

depends on your wheel size and crank arm length too

everyone at polo is in between 1.5 and 2

1.6 to 1.7 on 700 is a big thing

26" / 27.5" you can push more and go 1.8

if you have big heavy tyres you will go lower ratio ( or could be good workout !)

cranks arm vary from 165 to 175 but if they are too long they could get in your way more than helping with leverage

2 Likes

Ok thanks.
I was trying to find that Instagram page because I have seen it before but couldn’t remember for the life of me what it was called.
I just found a used 18 tooth free wheel that will give me a ratio of 1.9 and with 26 that should suit me for a while, though I will definitely be on the look out for an even bigger one.
I knew that the crank length made a difference with pedal strike but I had not really though about it in regards to overall gear advantage.

its a bit deep but my recent thoughts on this topic are the followings :

• your body shape and size define your bike size. the length of the cranks are shorter for a shorter leg / longer for a longer leg.

-im 1,87m , mostly legs . i tried to run a 175 cranks with a “small” 1,6 ratio , FLAT pedals, 27.5 wheels : i ended up crashing a lot. whenever i would reach my “maximum cadence” peak and i still needed to go faster , my legs and feet cannot keep up and will end up going at the wrong place.

• i tried 1.8 ratio on that same bike : a bit too much , was slow on defense , got tired quick. this could be due to my poor endurance as i m not a side sport person , i just play bike polo…i think someone in better shape could do well with this setup

• finally i settled in between and now 1.777 the higher ratio , wide bars, flat pedals allows me to use the most of my body shape ( long legs / slow cadence ) . i mainly focus on giving lots of power in the initial first push and that allow me to compete with “fast spinners” with lower ratio / more candence / cliped shoe

• i build this style around flats because i hurt myself less / less downtime tru the year / less fear in dodgy games / more polo on the long term !

EDIT feb 2023 i went 165 length and its feeling great ! smaller rotation circle , more clearance , and very small decrease in leverage. i could’t find that size for cheap at first so i went 175. many riders agree there isnt much difference in power transfer with such a small change .

2 Likes

32/20, with 160mm cranks.
Going 1cm shorter than standard 170mm cranks supposedly makes this ride more like a 34/20.
The rear is a freehub so I also have a 14t cog for commuting.