what’s your opinion on all tournaments being max 5 players?

positives:

A. longer games equals less downtime switching out teams which equals more playing time per team. 8 hours or 480 minutes divided by 10 minute games plus 5 minute switch out equals 320 minutes of playing time and that’s not is counting for mechanicals or minor injuries or late starts. 8 hours or 480 minutes divided by 20 minute games plus 5 minute switch out equals 384 minutes of playing time and there’s less chance of mechanicals or minor injuries lessening playtime. over 2 or even 3 days it’s hours more playtime per team.

B. theoretically speeds up the game since players do t have to conserves as they have subs.

C. subbing allows more dynamic team building and strategic line changing.

D. if one player gets injured or can’t make it to a tournament it isn’t catastrophic for a team.

negatives:

A. less potential playing time if you’re in a team where you’re benched.

B. tougher to exhaust your opponent.

C. more teammates equals potentially less cohesive teamplay.

D. longer games equals less opponents.

E. court infrastructure

1 Like

Well, if you are only three players, you are guaranteed to play those 320 minutes. If you are in a team of 5 you will have to switch. Assuming every player plays the same time with well balanced switches and if my math doesn’t fail me, you’ll only play 3/5 of the time, or 384 * 0.6 = 230 minutes! That’s a 30% reduction from the previous case.

Besides that, I think longer games are kinda boring if the teams are not very even. It happens often in longer games that scores get ridiculous. Also, if you stop games after 5-difference (as an organizer, I am super in favor of this, mega time saver), teams play way shorter, and people from the bench may not even play.

We’ve been experimenting a lot in Berlin with bench and switches in the last few tournaments and in the Winter Liga, and I think the main advantage is being able to schedule a game even if someone from the team is not available. I don’t know, some people like it more than me.

3 Likes

I hate reffing squad. All the bullshit is amplified in longer games and also staying focused for 30 min as a ref is different than doing it for 15-20 min, then having a break before the next game starts.

As a spectator, to me most polo games that last more than 20 minutes get boring at some point (unless its golden goal). I prefer seeing more different games and teams. Shorter games seem more intense and dense. But yeah, 20 min 4v4 I have no problem with. It still seems to be the best compromise to me.

3 Likes