World Championships postponed to 2023 [moved]

OP from @django moved here to this category

Update on the 10th World Hardcourt Bike Polo Championship

The World Bike Polo Organising Committee recently discussed hosting the 10th World Hardcourt Bike Polo Championship in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic that has disrupted the world for the past two years.

The results of the discussions are as follows:

The host city will remain Perpignan in France. They have told us that they are ready and willing to host when the Covid-19 situation allows

The 10th WHBPC will be held in 2023 at the earliest. This is because of the continuing uncertainty surrounding international travel, and the desire of regions to have time to re-establish their normal seasons and qualifiers.

If you have questions get in touch with the World Bike Polo Organising Committee:

Asia
Ai Tanaka
xxxaiaiaixxx@gmail.com
Member of the Japanese Bike Polo Association

Australia/New Zealand
Nick Dixon-Wilmshurst
xoqz01@gmail.com
Canberra representative on the Australasian Hardcourt Bike Polo Association

Europe
Gernot Gruber aka. Django
info@eurobikepolo.com
Member of the European Hardcourt Bikepolo Association

Latin America
Vero Enríquez Ruiz
vero.enriquez.ruiz@gmail.com
Member of the Latin American Bike Polo Association

North America
Mark Aseltine
mark@nahardcourt.com
NAH Tournament Director

imagen

5 Likes

Last one was 2019. It’s almost like the Olympics now.

2 Likes

mckayla-maroney-olympics-face

bummer! but completely understandable.
Let’s hope Perpignan is able to make the tournament larger than usual, we’d need something like 8 courts, to make sure everyone who wants can play :joy:

1 Like

Pity cos I was very much looking forward to 2022 worlds, but think that the right call was made to make sure the event goes down as it should. Thanks for all the work behind the scenes

1 Like

I know you’re probably saying this with a healthy pinch of salt, but I’m gonna use it as a chance to share my two cents.

1- I think we need to move away from the idea of Worlds etc… being huge polo festivals.
Sure, it’s cool if it can happen, but its a huge demand on the hosts.

Facilitate the vibes by co-ordinating the season with other events before and after a worlds.

2- I think this is a good opportunity to start hosting continental championships and world championships on alternating years so that there is only one major event each season.

Every year it seems hard to find a host for the euros, this would take some of the pressure off clubs and also hopefully mean that more teams can commit to going to worlds (and indeed other tournaments). Cos it has been a real pity that in recent Worlds, which have been fantastically organised, that there hasn’t been a stronger representation of European teams.

i think we should have a fund that help top team in need to attend the worlds

also who knows what variant will strike in 2023 ? things are re opening right now …

im surprised on your stance of the world inclusivity , i think its up to the club to put out the bid and show its capacity. if they can make it happen with enough courts and days for people to play the wildcard i dont think its a problem ? maybe you can detail more of your thoughts on this

Can’t speak for other regions, but I’m sure there are better ways to splash cash here
ie I’d rather see Django receive a polo pension before any team is to be gifted some air miles.

/

I agree that it is up to the club and part of me misses the days of 64 team tournaments. Heck my avatar is a love letter to the biggest worlds there’s been.

But at the same time I don’t think we should expect a massive worlds to be the standard. I think even the expectation that a worlds should host 48 teams is restrictive. Because although large events are great fun, they can be taxing on clubs and individual organisers.

A smaller worlds may have other benefits too. It could encourage regular teams to attend more smaller tournaments to train - though I’ll admit I’m not fully convinced by this argument.

Another point that I can posit with a bit more heft is that a smaller worlds could allow more room for organisation that promotes the sport both locally and on a larger scale.
Whether that be in allowing more energy to be directed into the provision of high quality recording and commentary and / or hosting the tournament somewhere with a greater footfall for non-polo spectators (cos spaces that have the capacity for 3 or 4 courts tend to be off the beaten track).

I love a polo festival, I’m just not convinced worlds has to be the event that fulfils that role.

TL;DR
Big love for Big tournaments, and happy for the hosts to call the shots on whatever they wish to deliver.
But think the community could also do with reconsidering some of their expectations, especially as there may be benefits to different approaches.

1 Like

maybe this funding thing needs own topic there is always this few teams that make it to the the top of euro or nah nationals and then bail ( could be cash or orther reason i concede)

i see your point on easing up on the orga team. and focusing reasources on stuff that matter like quality , reffing , media.
when i was on board at the euro we talked this and i had your stance .

but when you give the choice to the orga they usually try to pull off a polo festival because:

• its important for their club and local region , they are more likely to have a chance to play high level players , its a huge boost for the region !
  • the polo crowd is probably gonna be most of your crowd regardless. this point of visibility is very tricky because ultimately its hard to find a decent spot for 2 full size courts in a city center. from experience by talking with orga their answer was often " we will have space for more than 2 courts anyway there ". unless you had a 1 court world in mind ?
  • the club have the ressources , human and money wise . that year montpellier organized the wolrda i was following closely and they really gave a lot on orga but it created stronger bond between them. they also got mad money from the event so they could invest it in more event after , players mobility, new court…so a large event is not only cons for the club who organize it.
1 Like

Going to move this to All other tourney topics