What is the best grip you ever had? [edit] everything about mallets

post why its best and a picture if u can !

im very into these jumbomaxxx ones

they come in all sizes that are usually not covered by regular grip brands. the usual grips sizes are : standard , mid size ,

i bought the medium first and it was HUGE, too big for my hand especially at the bottom end because of the taper. my regular forehand shot felt amazing with little to no amount of squeezing, so i had a very relaxed hand when shooting which for me is a good thing. i can be more accurate. i find it hard to play with a mallet that has a very thin grip or a grip that is slipery.for the size of it , the weight is very low : only 50grm.

light shaft , milk head pro bouchard 75gr , 104 cm this will be my tournament mallet

pick up copy of it (with artritic hard grip) : image

i recomanded the jumbomax Medium one to Saul, who had this huge inner tube grip because he has big hands : his tube grip weight was 80grm and he is quit happy with the new one. its a big diameter but the foam is quit compact for its thickness.

i then bought the small tapered which was still too big at the tapered end ! so now i just got the XS untapered. i think i ll buy the S untapered once they get it back in stock …

i also got the non light french flag one to build a very french roger mallet (104cm) with their lightest/shortest head but it was meh. im not too much into roger s shaft 7001 “new alloy” : its less rigid than the usual 7075, and feel heavier but that might be beacause of the paint coat ! i might sand paper it off to get some grams off. roger heads are great, but i prefer flat sided head for reception and shuffle passes

i swapped this grip for a “light” one last week , i think they are as good and a bit cheaper than the jumbomax, but they dont have the giant sizes

here is some stuff i found about alu alloys

7075 composition

7001 (roger) composition

next is a perro del mallet complete 104cm setup head/shaft 7075 and grip : i think the grip is only 4 grm, its a cheap quality foam that is very bad by itself but handle well with a layer of hockey tape. also the grip thickness wasnt the best for me and its a short grip, so only one hand position . this deal is the best deal atm price wise and the lightest set up shown here

i made this all red mallet from a stubborn head , a scott ski pole and a chamois jumbo, 104cm : the head is very light 70gr , the grip is 60gr .for connect i used a bolt and nut slided and secured in the tapered end of the shaft. the ski pole is on the heavy side but very good quality and solid (and so beautiful :heart_eyes:) i would say its similar but better than roger s alloy, less rigid than 7075 but doesnt bend as easily as rogers 7001.
i use this mallet for pick up so i dont break my light ones, and pass it around for beginners session. i lended it to Danielito who is intermediate and been playing with whatever mallet the club is giving him and he instantly unlocked the scoop move. he can now scoop with most heads. he also enjoy the large hitting surface.

this one is the all yellow stubborn head / tough 1mm shaft milk combo. 97cm (this is the length i used to play 7years ago and is a copy of joey halvoersen mallet, except he plays with no grip and just a thin layer of hockey tape)
i filed teeth straight on the milk shaft like someone else suggested it and it works amazingly well : make sure the teeth are sharp enough and slam the shaft inside the head so it bits well and once, the trick is to do it once and avoid unscrewing the head after only to rotate it. this way the teeth wont move too much wich can cause it to grind thru the head wall.

it has a grip that i used to do before using golf grip, or when i have nothing to make a grip. i like to grab it exactly as in the last picture so during a shot i dont need to clench to keep the mallet from slipping away , its a bit of a baseball bat finish. i used to add another “ring” a bit higher as well. when using in er tube you want to keep it minimal because it will add weight quickly. secure the inertube ring with tape, then wrap tightly more innertube to make a solid end. wrap it and tape it along the shaft then finish with your choice of grip tape(here some free handlebars tape from your local bike shop bin) there is no play in this end bit it has to be rock hard.

imagea

Alpha head on skipole and lamkin grip:
im not a big fan of this design , neither the people who tried it , same feedback came back as the angle makes weird receptions and does t really help with the shooting. its the oposite of playing with 65mm stubborn head.
skipole is good quality, with no alloy tags.
Lamkin grip is very durable but heavy .

i like my mallets as light as possible and that would be under 250grm
i would consider a mallet too heavy to play with above 300grm.

my standard is any heads that are 75grm, 0.8mm shafts and 40grm grips

i had a carbon shaft but it snapped in the first game i tried it and i really tried not to. i dont think carbon shafts save that much weight to be honnest but it does give it a flex .

[update] i added the hecklers alley chart about connect / heads compatibility

2 Likes

CHAMOIS II
4 LYF

why bro why , regular or jumbo

this one ? why is ut better than chamois 1 ?

Avon Chamois II Grips - Black

hockey tape with a layer of old bike tube underneath since 2009 :]

3 Likes

its ok until you want a thicker grip, then if you keep adding innertube layer you will easily get to a 80 grm grip when there are options out there that bring it down to 30grm for a jumbo size grip

I had a very good time with this squash grip from decathlon. Gotta find an end plug, though… My cheap golf grip from aliexpress is disintegrating after 1,5 year, but does the job.

1 Like

Wow a lot of info in here to digest. Thanks for putting it together @OGxBENJI !

What a compilation! I’ve found that for me going jumbo effects my control negatively, but I also have smaller hands, that being said just some bartape covered in hockey tape seems to be the lightest. In my mallets carbon definitely breaks too soon, but I’ve made mallets that last at least 8 hard play sessions down to 180~grm.

1 Like

i downsized fron my jumbo grip because of what you say: by control what do you mean ? i will try to define here what i feel when i hold a polo mallet and how

i just feel drained too quickly if the grip is "foamy"compound , even a little of thickness will end up absorbing too much of my energy.

this whole experience made me even more realize how critical polo grips are. to me there is two distinct type of moves :

shooting motions : these are all your shooting moves , forward , backward , backhands etc
for shooting motions the oversized where great becaus you have better “wrist locking” ( think tennis grip) when you shoot so more control on the force you put in without “cramping” your hand on a grip that is too small

an oversized, grippy grip will sat in your hand without clenching too much even during the apex of the shooting motion.

Technical motions : these are all the dribbles , scooping the ball out the board , fencing /taping / , even just ball jointing.
these move requieres finesse and control , my hand position on the grip is drastically different and thats when oversize foamy grips gets annoying : instead, for these situation , i prefer a very grippy, stiffer but usually heavier compound ( like the arthritic serrated grips )

i ll add pictures soon

Small bit of my new findings to add here- I have recently been playing with a 3d printed grip in PETG +, with a lizard skin grip tape. The package comes out to about a 40 gram (180mm long) grip, and I play with a D profile grip. The grip could also be used as a replacement for shaft extensions when using golf shafts. I’ve got weight at 209g on an extended graftech shaft to 44" 112cm with perro v10 head and printed grip with lizard skin. Could probably cut more weight with some strategic head carving.

IMG_7623
IMG_7626
IMG_7625
IMG_7624

1 Like

nice ! how do you secure it on the shaft ? it grips like a golf grip ?

IMG_20230815_193631

Around 40g
Cool looking
You can put Stickers underneath!!!
Good Grip
Relatively easy to put on
Only 6€
What do you want more (;

4 Likes

thicker things to grip !

pretty much like a golf grip, tried a few different sizes until this- I use a mallet (the tool kind) to hammer the shaft in and it’s good.

1 Like

i think you are on something ! if the mold is stiff enough and doesnt suck up too much wrist energy it might be a big improvment to players hand fatigue.

and its light !

now try different shapes

I can easily do different shapes/lengths, this was my compromise between weight and a shape I find comfortable. what shape would you want to see?

i have two :

• untapered , round grip ( like the usual ones) but bigger than jumbo size.

• a grip that end with something similar like the ending of a baseball bat, so you can just throw it and let it rotate in your palm without actually gripping